Before the 1860’s, people suffering from mental illness were accommodated in the jail system. Due to a public outcry, the push for a separate institution for the mentally ill resulted in opening of the Beechworth Lunatic Asylum in 1867, now known as Mayday hills.
At its peak, Mayday hills incorporated over 40 buildings set within 11 hectares of ornamental gardens and 106 hectares of farming land. Mayday hills was completely self sufficient, it had working farms, piggery, orchards, kitchen gardens, tennis courts, sporting oval as well as its own theatre.
Nowadays, the George Kerferd Hotel and Linaker Hotel are run by the Nuck family. The George Kerferd hotel has been refurbished to include a fine dining restaurant, customisable conference and event space holding intimate gatherings to large scale events. The GKH also incorporates 20 recently refurbished rooms to combine a complete function centre.